Monday, June 29, 2009

Solvang


For our one year anniversary we decided to head up to Solvang, Ca which is about 3hrs north of us. Solvang is a Danish community and so every restaurant, building, and hotel is themed Danish. We only stayed Thursday-Saturday, but it was a perfect time to walk around and see everything to do. Our favorite shop was one that had cookoo clocks in it (from Germany) which reminded us both of our grandparents who have one. It was a little tempting to get one for ourselves- though they were a little too expensive, I told the shop keeper that we would be back in twenty years or so. We also enjoyed looking through this huge antique shop that had so many neat things, from pianos from the 1800's to huge grandfather clocks worth more than a house. It was a really neat store to look around, and hard to leave because there was so much to see.


I think by far our favorite part of the trip was watching the play " Les Miserables" in an outdoor theatre called "Theatrefest". I wasn't expecting it to be as good as Broadway, but it was certainly a close second. The acting and singing was phenomenal and for it being such a small stage, they did really well with props and such. It was so fun for us to see, both of us had always wanted to see that play.



On the drive back, we stopped at Santa Barbara to visit some friends that Jared grew up knowing, and we also got to see the "Rods and Roses" displays they had in the street. It was cool to see all the old polished cars. I took a picture of Jared next to his favorite car. All in all, it was a great get-a-way from reality for a couple of days!

6 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Eric and I went to Les Mis for one of our anniversaries and loved it too. Glad you got to see it. The shop with the cuckoo clock would have been awesome too...I've always wanted one of those.

Brewer's Ink said...

How fun! I totally want to go to the Danish village; that sounds so neat!

katie said...

Congrats on a year! We will be in San Diego soon...I will be calling to find out what your schedule is...to see if you maybe want to watch my kids...it may be too far, we will talk. So excited for your baby girl!!

Wilson's Wonderful World said...

I'm glad you took advantage of your last anniversary without kids. You will always remember it.

Rachel & Bobby said...

Fun Aubrey darling! I love that...looks cute. :) Jared looks like quite the handyman building that changing table haha. Very flipping exciting. I'll fill you in on the house situation whenever I know the house situation. All I can say is it sucks!

Nat said...

Yay!!! I love Solvang! What a fun trip!