Thursday, August 6, 2009

Commentary


Since being pregnant I've gotten more hormonal, more round, more backaches, more foot cramps, and more commentary than I've ever thought possible. These are my favorite comments(usually from strangers)- and ones I would certainly suggest not telling a cranky, sensitive, and un-humored pregnant lady.


1. "You're so small!" Thanks for that-not sure how to respond, is that a compliment?


2. "Are you sure you're not having twins??" This one is very contradictory to number one, but one I have gotten often. Which one is it- am I small or huge!?


3. "Are you sure you're not having a boy- you carry so low" Uhhhh....no I didn't really pay attention to the part in the ultrasound when they were pointing out what sex my child was. YES I'M PRETTY DARN POSITIVE IT'S A GIRL!


4. "Are you eating??" This particular comment came from a women in the checkout line at walmart mind you. I was not humored in the least bit- Yes, I am purposely trying not to feed my own baby.


5. "Due any day now?" Nope- but now that I feel really huge, let me go crawl in a hole for the next two and a half months...


6. "You already can't wear your wedding rings?!" Obviously not since they are around my neck- which I'm not taking off because if I do, then I will start getting comments (besides the looks) of "Are you a teen pregnancy?"


7. "Is this you're first?" This one makes me laugh just because I know I look young, so do I honestly look old enough to have a second child??? (Hence why I wear my wedding rings at all times)


I guess I shouldn't take any of these comments to heart- and at least people acknowledge that I am pregnant instead of ignoring the obvious fact. And I suppose I should just get used to it- I've heard once you have the baby...a whole new stream of advice comes flooding in. For now I'll try to enjoy the commentary.

8 comments:

Josh and Hillary said...

Haha. It's all so true! The funny thing is that all of the people who make the comments have usually had a baby... so you'd THINK they'd know not to say those silly things. But no. :) I think I'd rather be told I looked small than huge though. I always got the "are you having twins?" comment. I never got the "are you eating enough?" comment. :) You look great. hang in there!

Clint and Jen said...

You make me laugh, I got a lot of those comments too while I was preggo. I especially enjoyed the "are u having twins".
Can u e-mail me the addresses of your fam and friends, don't worry about postage, we got it.

Brewer's Ink said...

No Comment! . . .

Other than, you could adopt instead, but you'd still get a slew of silly questions/comments. Trust me; I know.

Love ya.

Grammy Suzzy and DJ Doran said...

Aubrey, you look simply beautiful! Just forget them and their comments! And you are so right...advice, or awkward looks, never stop!

Wilson's Wonderful World said...

We were discussing just this at playgroup a couple of weeks ago, and I think one of my friends had the kicker. The nurse at the doctor's office took a look at the scale on one of her visits and said, "Well you sure don't have a problem gaining weight while you're pregnant."
I think you look just like you should now you're in your third tri. I can't believe you are this far along, and that about the time you have your baby, my baby will be a year!

Rozanne said...

Wow! You've really gotten a good variety already. Just wait until you get the comment, "Was it a surprise?", "Was it an accident?" Now, that REALLY is not their business. That is the comment I got everywhere I went with Jarem when people found out I was pregnant with #4. Or, "Oh, you are going to have your hands full". When I was preggo with Alex everyone asked me if I was eating enough because I was tiny with him or told me I was going to have a very small baby. That really annoyed me too. Even Eric started asking me every meal if I wanted seconds towards the end. But, to everyone's surprise, he didn't end up being under weight at all. He was a whopping 8 lbs 9 oz. So, what do they now anyway. I guess it's just people's way of trying to be friendly. :)

Chelsie said...

I'll trade you! I get those comments all the time and I've never been pregnant! :) - So I gotta tell ya - and this may sound creepy/random but I thought you might get a laugh out of it. The other night I had a dream that I drove to Cali to see you and when I got there (in the middle of the night) you were all, "Um, you drove 7 HOURS to see me? That's . . . weird." But you were still nice about it, even though you had no idea why I came. Typical Aubrey, you're nice no matter what.

Erica said...

Yes, at least you're pregnant and getting those questions. I've been asked recently if I am pregnant. And of course, I'm not. So how do I take that? Apparently I need to exercise more? lol