Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Black Cat Cookies

These are one of my favorite desserts my mom makes, and they are a cute way to bring in the Fall/ Halloween spirit. Don't look too closely at these pictures- artistic talent is something I've always lacked so these are SUPPOSED to look like cats (last year a batch resembled bats, and Jared had to create all the rest so that they would actually look like cats). Good thing I married someone who has artistic talent!
1 C butter
2 C sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 C flour
1 C cocoa
candy corn
Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in eggs, vanilla, and add all dry ingredients. Form 1 1/2" circles, place on cookie sheet and flatten with a glass dipped in sugar (to make sugar stick on glass, get greased by pressing on batter inside bowl first, then dipping in sugar). Form "ears" and whiskers with fork. Bake 10-12 minutes at preheated 350 degrees. Add candy corn eyes and red hot nose (or broken candy corn) immediately after removing from oven. Move to cooling rack AFTER adding candy. Enjoy!

P.S. the chances are looking more and more promising of having a Halloween baby. Unfortunately, with less than 3 weeks until the due date, baby still hasn't dropped yet and I'm not dialated either. My doctor brought up good news though- she said we WILL have an October baby, if she doesn't come on my due date, she'll induce me a week after. Technically a week after is in November, so I'm not sure how that will work, but good news...baby will be here within 3-4 weeks!

6 comments:

Barry and Jeanni said...

The cookies look great! I am going to make them :)

Brody and Erin said...

*Cute cookies! They look so Yummy!!! We are so excited for your baby to come. Can't wait to hear the good news and to see her! Time tends to slow down at the end. You'll have to post pictures of the baby's room!!! We also can't wait to find out her name!!!

Wilson's Wonderful World said...

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to make those with my kids.

With Camilla she didn't drop, I didn't dilate, and I didn't have any contractions with her until my labor started three days early. First babies can be like that. With the other two I would dilate to a 2 a month before they were born, and then sit at a four two weeks before they were born. Pregnancy is weird. Maybe she's just waiting to be born on Mary Emma's birthday :).

Steph and Joe said...

SO EXCITING!!! Cute cookies too!
And turns out we'll be down for Thanksgiving...you gonna be around?

Brewer's Ink said...

Have to share with you what I wrote to Alison on her mission 10/19/00
"Michelle gave me a great Halloween recipe for Black Cat cookies. They are made with 1 cup cocoa to make them black (I only had 1/4 C - so I put some chocolate powdered sugar in with it too). They have candy corns for the eyes and red hots for the nose(I discovered AFTER my first batch that you put the candy on after they're baked - all the candy melted and stuck to my pans - I think one pan is ruined). Michelle's cookies look like cats with pointy ears and whiskers made from the fork prongs (mine are brown blobs with 2 candy corns and a red hot). I have been planning for a week to make these cookies with the girls; I though it would be a nice after school treat/project (Christine was afraid of burning herself if she put the candy on the blobs[cookies] and Rebekah was mad that I wouldn't let her eat more candy corns so she yanked on my arm and burned me on the hot cookie sheet. There was a lot of crying: Rebekah because I was upset with her, me because I feel like a lousy mom, and Joseph for who knows what reason.) I think the girls will look back on this afternoon as a definite bonding experience with their mom, don't you?" -------------------
Your black cats look GREAT! Maybe I'll try it again with the boys. If this time turns out like the last time, however, I am changing the name of the recipe to Black Cat Bad Luck Halloween Cookies! ;)

Brad and Danielle said...

Oh yay! I don't think my baby will come early either. But I'm due NEXT WEEK!!!! SO CRAZY!! I only have 9 days left (unless baby decides he's much too comfy to come out)! Good luck and let us know what your baby girl finally decides to join your family!

By the way, the cookies look really yummy!