Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween 2011


This year was a lot of fun since it was Adelyn's first year really getting excited about the holidays and also because we decided to do a family theme for our costumes. Adelyn was Tinkerbell, Dallin was Peter Pan, I was Wendy and Jared was John. I'm not too big on spending a ton of money for 1 or 2 uses, so I bought Addie's fairy costume at TJ Maxx for $10, Dallin's was a clearance shirt from Walmart, and I got Jared and my nightgowns at Goodwill. Top hats are hard to come by, so we created it from foam. Maybe I should have spent more money on the costumes- rarely anybody understood what we were (Does nobody watch Peter Pan 14 billion times like we have?!?!...it's one of Addie's favorites)- but as I mentioned above, I am cheap!
Adelyn was pretty freaked out with anything to do with spiders, skeletons, or flashing lights, but did okay as long as we held her. She just clung on for dear life, poor thing! The trunk or treat was really fun to see all our friends there dressed up, and it helped Addie get the gist of trick or treating. In fact, yesterday the door was closed to the bathroom so Addie tried to get it open first, then simply knocked and said, "trick or treat!". Haha she cracks me up sometimes!
We also went trick or treating around our neighborhood, but that turned out uneventful since there were hardly any trick or treaters besides us and our LDS neighbors. Plus, didn't seem like the neighbors really wanted to get into it either. There were a scarce amount of houses that even had their lights on! Next year we might just go somewhere else. It seems to me that the Halloween tradition of trick or treating is kinda dwindling- is that everyone else's experiences too?
Well we had fun, and it was good getting to know some of our neighbors. Plus, Addie had fun (Dallin just liked being held and getting to look around) and that's all that matters, right?

2 comments:

Rozanne said...

Cute! That is fun to dress up in a theme. I have rarely done it, but when we have, it's been fun!

Brewer's Ink said...

That is too funny about Trick or Treating to the bathroom occupants! It reminds me of all the "tricks" your Mom and I used to do to our siblings who were just trying to get their business done. I'll have to try that one on my kids!