Monday, January 16, 2012

Flagstaff



The next day we went to a neat little history museum that I actually really enjoyed. I usually don't particularly get excited about that kind of stuff- but the iron lung there was very intriguing to me. I'd heard the term, but not known that it was an actual machine that physically keeps someone alive. One lady in particular was paralyzed from the neck down thanks to polio, so this submarine looking contraption, would basically do compressions on her to keep her breathing. Her neck was the only thing sticking out, and she lived like that for 48 years!!! Geesh, that seems like the worst way to live. But
the man who worked at the museum said that they actually got to speak to her (she died in 2008) and she had a real optimistic way of looking at her situation. Apparently a lot of people lived that way due to polio and they had a hospital where they all were cared for. Once, the power went out (these things wereelectricaly powered) and so the staff had to hand crank to keep these poor patients living-which was an extremely difficult thing to turn. Eventually, the power returned and when it did, everyone just collapsed from being so exhausted. Can you imagine???

The following day Addie and I played in the snow in the backyard while Jared and Dallin rested. I'm glad I got a chance to expose Adelyn to the fun part of playing in snow since Jared got pretty sick that day and we ended up just leaving around 7- we had the apartment another day but he wanted to be at home. I was bummed, but it was still nice to get out and have a much needed vacation!

3 comments:

Meredith Williams said...

What a cool museum. I have never heard of an iron lung before so thanks for the insights!

In reply to your comment, I published my blog at blog2print.com It was so easy and so worth it to me. I can tell you more about it if you are interested.
And, we should totally play games with you and Jared. We are always looking for couples to play with us. Let's do it soon!

Brewer's Ink said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Erica said...

I didn't even think twice about seeing your picture with snow in the background! Haha That's more snow than we've gotten here this winter!