Tuesday, March 27, 2012

See You In Another Life, Graycie

I mourned a loss this weekend, one I didn't think I'd have to face until later years. One that brought back memories and sadness but also hope. This weekend we traded in my Neon, Graycie.


Yeah, it seems silly to lament and document the loss of a car- but not so silly once you know the history behind this cute gray car I used to own.


I bought my car after years of hard work through high school and it was Mine. Even though it was restored salvaged and annoyingly difficult to get the title, inspection, and everything else- I loved it! I loved the way it smelled, looked, drove, everything! For 5 grand I had bought myself a ticket to college, singles wards, jobs, socializing and a potential husband. Life was looking great! Then Graycie completely went kaput.


So, since I'd spent everything I owned into buying the car, my parents helped out in restoring my "new" car into something even newer......like $4,000 dollars newer. Well what a let down- it was only three years old in 2007. Whatever! My love went on!


Then we had more problems with it....$400 here, 50 bucks there- it's gotta be good now, right??? Not exactly, but maybe for a short time....maybe. Then Jared and were engaged, I don't think he had any animosity towards Graycie until after our vows of matrimony. And then shortly after we said our "I Do's" he realized real quick how expensive my not-so-expensive, no-payment car truly was. Problem after problem, issue after issue, and 5 years of many trips (or tows) to the car shop later, Jared found an opportunity to rid us of the money waster once an for all. 


At the car shop, we switched out (sort of....even the mechanic knew it wouldn't have been a fair trade) Graycie my 2004 gray Dodge Neon for a 2000 green Honda Passport. I made the decision, knowing full well, it was time to let go. What should have been a good vehicle from all the money we'd invested into it, simply wasn't. And although I was sad driving my Graycie for the last time, I am surprisingly very satisfied and happy in the replacement! Graycie, we had a good run together- have a good life wherever you may be, even if that's in a junkyard.


Now, to make the transition complete, I am searching for an appropriate name for this new vehicle that will drive us through a new chapter in our lives! 



3 comments:

The Colbys... written by Erin said...

Penelope the Passport!

sorry for your loss:( sad to lose a car!

Brewer's Ink said...

Air conditioning? Please tell me that Graycie's replacement has air conditioning!

Meredith Williams said...

Oh, I hate losing a car.....especially one where you have so much history with! Hope this one is a little less expensive :)