Monday, June 3, 2013

What I Love

It occurred to me the other day that although there are times where my kids drive me absolutely insane- there are a lot of qualities and characteristics I just LOVE about each of my children. Then I started thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat if I wrote them all down so they could read them someday???". So that is why I am doing this post. Of course this is an ongoing list, and one that will change as time goes by- but as of right now, here is what I love about each of my kids.  

Adelyn (3.5 years)
~ I love her gorgeous big eyes and eyelashes. If only we could inherit features from our own kids....
~ I love that after we go to the library every week, she as just as giddy as I am to read all the new picture books. This girl loves to read!
~ I love how easily she learns. Unlike me, I always expect that it will take her longer to catch onto concepts than it actually does. She recognizes almost every alphabet letter and their sounds and started writing letters a couple of weeks ago. Rhyming is also something she surprisingly understands.
~I love how obedient she is. Since she was really really little, I'd tell her something like,"Addie- don't touch the stove it will burn you and give you ouchies". Done. Never bothered to test it. This girl has NEVER run away from me nor done anything naughty just to "test it out". I can always count on my Addie girl.
~I love how much she sings. Sometimes its ridiculously loud, but regardless, I love everything about it. Her sweet voice, her ability to pick up the lyrics quickly, and her accurateness in tone. Thank goodness she isn't tone deaf!
~ I love how good her memory is. She asked me last week if she could see the fireworks for the 4th of July this year....the reason she asked that was because we ditched them last year (front row seats at my Aunt Jeanette's house) so we could see a not-so-great alternative near our house to avoid traffic and a prolonged bed time. This child hasn't forgotten and is determined not to get shafted again this year!
~I love how she talks. I realize that, "Please me go to the park" is not grammatically correct, but I can't bring myself to correct her because I just think it's too darn cute. 
~ I love how excited she is to go to kindergarten....even if she won't be going for another couple of years.
~I love her fashion sense. No, I typically wouldn't put together an outfit like she does, but I think it's hilarious when she tells me with a sigh of exasperation, "But Mom, this matches- see! Pink and....(searching for that tiny speck) PINK!" or "But Mom! I don't want to wear that...it's not fancy! This shirt looks posh!"
And yes, those are three skirts she is wearing...she was really proud that she thought of this fashion statement all on her own!

~ I love how well she colors. She is seriously really good at coloring in the lines.
~ I love how she will spontaneously give me a hug, kiss, and tell me "I love you, Mom!" just because she knows I like it.....and then expects me to reciprocate her affections :)
~ I love how she always wants to know my opinions and feelings. If we're listening to a song, "Mom, do you like this song?" "Eehh it's okay, but it's not really my favorite, lets see what else is on the radio". "It's not my favorite either, please change it!" and if I show any emotion she doesn't understand, "Are you mad?" "No hunny, just irritated that this isn't working right" ....."So are you mad??" 
~ I love how she thinks her dad can fix anything. Especially if I tell her it's completely broken and there is now way to repair it. "Let's wait until Dad comes home, he can fix it!"
~ I love how excited she is to meet her second brother. Poor thing still doesn't understand time that well yet, but I told her he'd come just before her birthday. That seemed to make sense to her and she's stop asking when he's making his debut...although she informs us almost weekly that her birthday is, "on Saturday" or "in October" or "coming up soon, so we'd better to go the mall so she can pick out something for herself!"


Dallin (almost 23 months)

~ I love his laugh. He has the best bubbly laugh- I just inhale it and shamefully give him the hiccups because I keep making him laugh so I can hear it longer.
~ I love his grin. Sometimes I just stare at him if he's truly smiling....I want to remember it always.
~ I love how he has to have a toy in each hand all the time. Not sure the reasoning- maybe he's prepping for scouts, "Always be prepared"
~ I love how happy he gets whenever I return to him. If he's being babysat by someone or I got somewhere quickly (like get the mail). I know I'm returning to a boy who is more than thrilled to see me. Without fail, he runs to me so I can scoop him up. Love that.
~ I love how I just realized that he sings along with songs. His sister never does- she is a soloist through and through. Not Dallin, he sings along and by golly actually gets most of the words right! Somehow he knows lots of songs!
~ I love how he thinks Dad is just the greatest. He follows him around like a puppy - especially if it involves fixing things. But he is still a Momma's boy and always prefers me to take him to bed.

~ I love his positiveness. He is sort of going through a confusing stage right now where he gets angry at small interruptions in his play (toys being taken away, getting hurt, getting told "no") but he honestly always seems to get right back on to being mild tempered. He doesn't stay mad long, and it's always been easy to make him laugh. If I stare at him, he laughs!
~ I love how he thinks the world of his sister, and therefore wears her shoes, bows, hats, swimsuits...whatever! He wants to do it too!
~I love how he has declared himself a big boy....yet he's still not (and never will be in my eyes!). He pointed to the high chair one day and told me very distinctly, "Baby...chair....baby" and refused to sit in it. He now sits at the table and makes twice as much mess- but there is no way to force that kid into a high chair!
~ I love that he loves, "men". He knows he's a boy and that they are his people. Somehow he gets very offended if he is left out of the men group whenever we are at family functions. All the guys go off to play basketball and he gets left inside with the women...he is not a happy camper when he figures out that they've all left him! Whenever I check on him in nursery, he's always being held by whatever male teacher is there that day!
~I love his exploration. This boy has places to go and things to do! He is always on the move and rarely stops and just plays. Thank Heavens that Santa brought a big wooden train set, I think that is the only thing that will occupy him for 10 minutes....but even that isn't too often.

Baby #3
~ I love that this boy is super wiggly and very active. Eases my mind so I know he's doing okay in there.
~ I love that I get to carry him for another 4 months and be his mother.
~ I love the excitement of being able to meet him soon and discover his unique personality


***Photo courtesy to Kiya Jackson who took the really nice looking photos.
 You can definitely tell the difference! ****

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

What a sweet idea, loved reading it! And all of the pictures are adorable, but I have to say those first pictures of both Addie and Dallin are so gorgeous. Beautiful kids you've got!

Meredith Williams said...

I really need to write down a list like this. You've inspired me. And I agree with you, I've always been so impressed with how obedient Addie is. You've done well! :)

Kiya said...

Love this as well! So special for your kids to read this in the future. They will no without a doubt their mom loves them! :)