Friday, July 26, 2013

4th of July Weekend

Thanks to the 4th of July being on a Thursday this year, that meant Jared had a four day weekend! Well, Tuesday rolled around and he decided he'd like to make that a 5 day weekend and therefore our vacation was extended! Perfectly enough, I'd picked up free passes to the Children's Museum from the library the day prior, so we decided to go on Wednesday! Last time we went, Dallin was still crawling and Addie was too young to remember going....except weirdly enough she remembered her that her friend, Austin and his family had come along with us. That child has some pretty far-reaching memories! Anyway, it was great and we loved the time we had to spend with Jared there with us. It was definitely a relief to have an extra set of eyes to help me watch the kids- the museum has 3 levels with lots of rooms and places for kids to escape and hide!


Addie's favorite area was probably the "ice cream shop" and bakery area where she baked us many pizzas. Dallin was a little hesitant about some of the loud or unexpected areas (took him awhile to get used to the scarves shooting out of tubes) so it was kind of a hit or miss with what he liked. But his favorite was probably the bike wash area, and then the car racing station. And they both loved the the noodle forest.....however, it is pretty scary when you have two kids running in opposite directions and can't see where they disappeared to!
 I love how this museum is so creative and that there are so many themes and activities for kids to explore- it's impossible for a kid to be bored or not have something that interests them! Plus, the museum does a great job of making enough for everyone- I have yet to see someone fight over any toys!



 I am so glad Jared got that day off so we could do this as a family again- we had a great time and Addie is already asking when we can go back again!

The 4th of July we went to my Aunt and Uncle's house to watch the fireworks (they live behind the Peoria Sport's Complex so we always get great seats from their backyard)! I was pretty nervous about keeping the kids up that late (they start at 9:15 and then there is traffic to battle) but we gave them late naps and just hoped for the best. They actually did great!  We found a shortcut home with very little traffic (yay!) and they thoroughly enjoyed the firework show! Addie felt like she got shafted last year, since we opted out and watched from a very far distance of any fireworks which was closer to our house. I was glad we stayed this year. The day after I was asking Dallin about the fireworks and he seemed pretty impressed about the whole thing. I pointed out that they went, "boom! boom!" and he kept telling me, "Mom! Boom boom fireworks!!" and will still randomly recite that to me. :) Dallin is a learning sponge lately! His language and knowledge is really expanding a lot lately!!

We did some other fun/non eventful activities (like go to the mall etc.) that weekend, and ended with ummmm...BUYING A VAN!! Yeah, totally not planned on doing that whatsoever until closer to when the baby comes. However, Jared went to "just look" and of course the rest is history  So now we are the proud owners of a maroon 2011 Honda Odyssey...or as I like to call her, Rhonda. Get it?? She's Rhonda the Honda!! ha! :) 

What a fabulous weekend- since I've gotten older and now have kids of my own- I just LOVE patriotic holidays! We are so fortunate to live in this country and I love that I have so many freedoms- and most especially that my family can chose our religion, living location, how many kids we have, what schools to attend and that we don't have to worry about being oppressed. But more importantly, I love that I can teach my kids the way I feel is important and best for their growth and well being. God bless the USA!!!

No comments: