Sunday, November 30, 2014

Adelyn's 5th birthday!

Geesh! It's one day away from December and I am so behind on blogging! Our baby (or not so baby girl anymore!) turned 5 this year! Can you believe it?? She has been so extremely excited about her birthday, we were hearing about it months and months ago! She'd invite kids to her "birthday party" (the one she was throwing for herself lol) and then the mom of those children would ask me about it and I'd have to explain that her birthday wasn't for another 4 months and I hadn't even started planning a party yet! Speaking of party, she REALLY wanted to have a friend party since she hadn't had one since she was 1. But every day the theme she wanted to do would change. Getting frustrated, I finally just told her we were going to do a "These are a few of my favorite things" party- which basically we ended up doing activities that she wanted to do- with no particular theme. It turned out great, the kids had fun, and it seemed to be all that Addie hoped and dreamed it would be, so that's all that mattered, right??

We played with makeshift paddles to keep the balloons afloat, bean bag toss, pin the tail on the Pinkie Pie, made candy necklaces, musical hula hoops, ate cake, and let the kids run and play. For the most part it was a really low key party to host- which was the most important part for me!

On the morning of her party, she was actually mad about having it because we'd already celebrated her real birthday. She was a little confused that we celebrated on Wednesday and then had her party on Saturday. She insisted that her birthday wasn't supposed to be two days. Fortunately, she got over it and was chipper again before her guests came :)
More than anything, Adelyn wanted "Beauty" a palace pet for Princess Aurora from Build a Bear. Since the doll was $25 just for the doll- with no clothes or accessories included (why are they so expensive???!!?)- we only gave her that and a Rossetta barbie. Thankfully she had cards and my parents brought her a gift so she had some other presents to open! She was pretty excited to go to build a bear and pick out "the perfect pet!" later that week.

 Dallin had preschool that morning and Trevin fell asleep on our way there and I don't remember what Jared had going on, but it was nice to have it be just mommy daughter time and go get Beauty. It's nice to get that time together, even if it's only occasionally!


Some things about Addie:

~She has gotten to be a fabulous bike rider, we're thinking it's almost time to take those training wheels off!
~She is an avid colorer and loves thinking up projects to do
~Anything pink and girly is her favorite
~She still loves looking at books 
~She is starting to read(beginning stages) and will spell words when we help her out. We also practice sounding words out when we read through books.
~She likes to make her own "books" by stapling paper together and she draws the pictures and then I write the words she tells me to put down
~Addie is a great big sister and is a big help to me
~She LOVES, LOVES preschool!
~She has a fascination with anything spooky or scary, but gets freaked out easily from it
~ Addie thinks she is also a mom and I often here her lecturing Dallin
~She has started feeling all high and mighty since going to preschool and doesn't want to talk to Dallin much when we pick her up...we're working on being more polite ;)
~Addie is very into her friends lately which is fun, but I'm trying to teach her to be an independent person and do her own thing. It's tricky because I was the same way- I always wanted to follow the crowd too.
~She likes putting on "plays" for us. Today she started her play by saying, "Hello there. Addie Marie Bass here!" LOL :)
~She wants very badly to be a princess. The other day she asked me, "Mom, are there real princesses??" when I replied that there were she continued. "Can't I just be a princess already??"
~Adelyn likes to dress herself still, but thankfully she's started letting me give her pointers on the attire she chooses. She doesn't always take my advice- but sometimes she does so that's good! I think she might be listening too, because he outfits typically aren't too terrible!
~She has become very sensitive lately and if I compliment or commend Dallin without saying anything to her, she'll get offended. She thinks that I'm displeased with her if I say something positive to Dallin but not to her also.
~She sings all day long- whenever she's playing with toys, they are usually singing some funny song. Her lyrics are hilarious!

We sure love our Addie girl! She brings so much funny drama (you should here her pretending!) and flare to our lives. Tonight she stormed off to her room and I found her sulking on her bed. When I asked her what was going on, she told me that no one (meaning anyone in the family) had told her she was beautiful, or cute, or pretty, and that no one liked or loved her and they didn't want to cuddle with her. So we remedied that and she was back to her jolly self again! Addie definitely keeps us on our toes! She is kind and thoughtful and is a definite pleaser. She has a very hard time when she gets in trouble- she honestly never needs a firm punishment because being displeased at her is enough to get her upset. We love our sweet little girl and I dread the day that she's not so little anymore! Happy birthday Addie!

No comments: